In this episode, Branddy speaks to Matthew Walters-Bowens, Senior Legal Analyst, Trademarks & Domain Names at Warner Music Group, an entertainment and record label conglomerate. They talk about how the landscape of IP protection has changed over the past ten years, steps recording artists need to take to protect their work, and the challenges they may face in doing so. They also discuss the role of AI in the music industry, and Matthew gives his advice for how to succeed in IP protection.
- How Matthew was drawn to IP protection as a day job to support his singing and theater endeavors, and what motivates him the most about it.
- How the landscape of IP protection has changed over the past ten years, from a focus on tracking down physical goods to enforcement on the internet.
- The challenges to IP protection, specifically in the music industry.
- How music industry professionals can raise awareness around IP protection with their clients, and how to balance protection with creative innovation.
- The future of IP protection and how AI will play a role in it.
- Advice for increasing awareness around IP protection, including keeping risk, timelines, cost, and mitigation top-of-mind.